I wanted to write a blog post with as much information as possible to help us all through these anxious times. First and foremost, I want you to know that we are in this together. The entire ExCEL team has been working tirelessly together to get information and learn the easiest ways to relay information/assignments to scholars over these next few weeks.
So let’s get started with what information I do know…
- The district is updating information daily on this website. https://www.pcsb.org/coronavirus
- School is currently out until April 15th. During that time, we will be doing digital learning.
- Digital learning means YOUR current teachers will be sending your assignments/teaching materials to you in a digital format. We plan to use Remind, Edmodo, Clever, and Microsoft Teams. EVERY scholar has access to these. We will not be moving to an online school format like Florida Virtual.
- If you do not have WiFi at home, Spectrum is providing scholars with SIXTY DAYS of free WiFi. Please call 1-844-488-8395. All associated fees will also be waived at that time.
- If you do not have a computer or tablet, each school will be sending out information on days when scholars can come and “check out” a device to use early next week.
- Our district will establish Grab-and-Go feeding sites at nine Pinellas County Schools to ensure that students have accessibility to meals during this timeframe. Our Food & Nutrition Services Department has identified the locations that will provide both breakfast and lunch to all individuals 18 years old or under. Please see the attached PDF for more information.
- Many events will be cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are not happy about this but we must do what is best for our school and community. At this time, the ExCEL Senior Banquet for March 13th has been cancelled. Full refunds will be available once our bookkeepers return to school.
- We do not have any new information on if prom is still happening or if it will be rescheduled.
I understand that uncertain times cause a lot of anxiety and even depression. If you need to talk, I am still available. I have created a REMIND app where scholars can text me. Text 81010 and say @fitzex to join the REMIND. Once this one fills up, I will send a new code. I am also posting daily updates on our ExCEL Instagram under LargoHighExcel. I will also be checking my email daily. Mr. Green and all of your instructional leaders will also be available for you. Please reach out. We are here to help.